Rousay egilsay and wyre host some of orkneys most magical archaeological and historical sites with ancient brochs cairns and tales of vikings rousay was the site of orkneys only clearances st magnus was martyred in egilsay and renowned writer edwin muir spent much of his childhood in wyre. Across the sound to the east the tiny islands of egilsay and wyre keep rousay company egilsay was an important destination for pilgrims a 12th century norse church with its distinct viking round tower identifies the site of the martyrdom of st magnus in 1117. The islands form part of orkneys remote north isles your visit to orkney should be planned to experience both the vibrant island spirit of westray and in contrast the tiny rural community in papa westray which is accessible from its neighbour on the worlds shortest scheduled flight
How it works:
1. Register a Free 1 month Trial Account.
2. Download as many books as you like ( Personal use )
3. No Commitment. Cancel anytime.
4. Join Over 100.000 Happy Readers.
5. That's it. What you waiting for? Sign Up and Get Your Books.